We live in a culture of more. We want more free time, more money, more clothes, more vacations, more gadgets, more perfect-weather days… more, more, more.
But do we realize that the more we have, the less we have?
- More money often contributes to less free time (due to extra work hours).
- More toys for our kids allows less space for our kids to play in.
- More vacations means less money and less time at home.
- More clothes leads to less closet space (and more piles of laundry!).
- More activities, committees, and sporting events contributes to less family time.
- More electronic time can mean less productive time.
- More work hours means less free time.
- More gorgeous days means less rain and therefore less foliage.
Do we understand what’s happening? We can spend so much time wanting more that many of us slip into a habit of having less of some things that are truly important.
On the flip side of things:
- Less electronic time means more time with our little ones.
- Less money often leads to more creativity (when one has a positive attitude about less money).
- Less wanting leads to more contentment.
- Less worry means more calm.
- Less perfection allows for more freedom.
- Less scheduling permits more breathing room.
- Less activities for the kids gives them more play time to develop their own unique talents.
- Having less stuff gives a home more space.
We have this motto in our home: “The less there is, the less there is to clean.” The sentiment behind the motto is that when we have less stuff to clean, we have more time for what we really want to do.
This sentiment usually applies to other areas of our life as well. Oftentimes, less really is more.
What about you? What areas will you work towards having less in so you can have more of something else?
Make Your Home a Haven
You’re only 10 days away from a haven at home. This FREE email course will help you get there.
During our time together, I'll teach you how to implement specific processes and systems so you can make immediate progress.
If you want to stop feeling stuck at home so you can be ready for whatever God has in store for you, sign up now.