It’s almost the end of June! Does it feel like summer is slipping away and you’re not slowing down enough to enjoy it?
Me too. But it’s important to keep in mind that we don’t need to have hours on end of free time in order to slow down and savor the moments.
So to help us out, I’ve compiled a list of 15 simple activities we can do with our kids right outside our door even if we only have 15 minutes or less.
- Lay on the grass with your eyes closed and breathe deeply to relax.
- Find shapes in the clouds.
- Eat your meal or a snack outside instead of inside.
- Kick a ball or throw a Frisbee.
- Draw with sidewalk chalk.
- Jump rope.
- Read a picture book or a chapter from a longer book in fun voices.
- Run through the water spray of a hose.
- Notice lightening bugs in trees and down the street.
- Catch lightening bugs in your yard and put them in a jar.
- Admire the stars.
- Listen to the nature sounds around you.
- Ride bikes, skateboard, or walk around the block.
- Find nature items (sticks, leaves, feathers, acorns, etc.) that you can put in a clear jar inside for “decoration.”
- Eat the nectar from a honeysuckle. (Go here if you need instructions for finding and eating honeysuckle.)
What about you? What would you add to this list?